Home Page

Monday, August 13, 2007

Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki


I had my in-laws over for dinner last weekend, and I served lamb burgers with tzatziki. I got the idea from Brooke over at Bear Necessities. These were very good, I especially loved the homemade tzatziki. I had a pile leftover and we ate it the next day as a veggie dip.

I served the lamb burgers with my greek salad and greek potatoes.

I am going to be out of town camping without a computer for a few days this week, I will be cooking up a storm over the campfire and I'm even going to make another attempt to make a successful Camp Fire Bread. I apologize in advance for the lack of posts this week, but if you find you really miss me, and you can't live without me, I do have 126 recipes in my archives, so drop by anyway and read some of my older posts.


Lamb Burgers

2 lbs ground lamb
1 small onion, diced fine
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tsp oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper

1. Mix lamb with onion, parsley, oregano, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and mix together. Note: you don't need an egg to bid the lamb as you do with beef, because lamb is higher in fat.

2. Grill over direct coals until the burgers reach desired doneness.

3. Serve the burgers in pita pockets with tomato, lettuce and tzatziki.

Tzatziki

2 cups plain yoghurt
2 cloves garlic
1/2 english cucumber
2 tbsp fresh dill
salt

1. Place the yoghurt in a strainer lined with a piece of cheesecloth. Put the strainer in a larger bowl to catch liquid and place in the fridge for at least 6 hours (or overnight). This will make the yoghurt nice and thick.

2. Peel and very finely chop the cucumber. Mix into yoghurt with miced garlic, shopped dill and salt to taste.

3. This is even better made a day ahead.