Home Page

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Layered Party Sandwich


I made this sandwich last week for a Canada Day Potluck lunch at work. This is a great recipe for a crowd and it is really easy to make. A couple of people asked me how I got all the sandwich fillings inside the bread. I told them that my method was even more highly guarded than the "Caramilk Secret". But, as most of my close friends could tell you, I've never been much good at keeping secrets...

The entire time I was making these sandwiches for work (I made two), Mario was hovering around, eating some of my cheese and coldcuts. I have to say it is a major pet peeve of mine, when Mario comes into the kitchen and starts picking or tasting what I am making before it is done. He has come very close on several occasions to losing his fingers to the end of my fork.

I promised that I would bring home the leftovers, but there were none.

Layered Party Sandwich

2 tubs (250g) garlic and chive cream cheese
1 package each deli roast beef, pastrami, and turkey breast
9 slices each swiss cheese and cheddar cheese
2 tomatoes
1/2 sweet onion
olive oil
vinegar
salt and pepper
loaf pumpernickel bread

1. Cut slice off top of loaf and remove inside (freeze insides to make breadcrumbs later).

2. Spread a thick layer of cream cheese all over the inside and the top of the bread. Make sure no bread is showing as this is what keeps the sandwich from becoming soggy.

3. Begin to layer ingredients. Start with cheese layer (swiss then cheddar), coming up the sides slightly.

4. Add a layer of each type of meat.

5. Add a layer of tomatoes and sliced onion. After each addition of tomato and onion, drizzle with oil, vinegar and add salt and pepper.

6. Compress very tightly as you go.

7. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving. Slice each loaf into 8-12 wedges. (you can make this a day in advance and it stays perfect)